Sunday, March 18, 2012

Healthy Marriages: Compromise


As Bryan and I are only in our 15th month of marriage, we are still trying to navigate the wonder of compromise. We're pretty good at it, I have to say...but it's still a lot of work. 

At our (apparently) weekly Ikea shopping trip, we were having trouble compromising on a desk. He wanted an L shaped desk that I felt was too big for the space. I found a smaller, but equally as functional L shaped desk with a pull-out. He didn't like it. Thus became the dilemma. He didn't want to compromise on an L shape, and I didn't want anything too huge that took away from the space. Ikea didn't do a great job of providing alternatives that we could both agree on, either. In the end, we left Ikea. He was stressed, I was irritated, and we were halfway to an argument in the middle of the desk department. 

However, on our crabby way home, we realized we still needed to go to Home Depot for some brackets and (other guy stuff I can't remember). While we were there, I let him do his thing (he needed alone time) and I wandered around on my own. There, in aisle something and such, was the perfect solution: shelves. We have a good sized desk, and to make it an L would just require a shelf mounted to the wall. When Bryan caught up with me, I pointed this out. He checked his measurements, and voila! A shelf would work! 

Thankfully, this was a solution we were BOTH happy with - and our wallets thanked us, because one shelf and brackets ended up being way less expensive than a whole brand new desk. It took a little cursing, a lot of angst, and some time away, but we eventually found our solution. I wish every disagreement could be solved with a trip to Home Depot, but for now, I'll take what I can get. 

Compromise: The hardest thing about marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment